Felicia over at Geeky Bloggers Book Blog is doing a monthly Book Budget post where she lays out her book buying rules and goals and holds herself accountable to them by showing us how she's done for the month. You can see her January and February posts to see what I'm talking about in detail.
It's a brilliant idea and I since I'm trying to cut back on my spending in 2013 and work on reading the books I already have on my Nook and bookshelf; I decided to do my own post using Felicia's as my go-by with a few tweaks in the rules that better suit my book budgetting needs.
Since I didn't start my own post til now this one will include the break down for both January and February.
- I can purchase ebooks (Nook) if they are less than $5.
- I can use my audible credits (started with 10 credits leftover from my 12 credit renewal in Oct/2012). Of purchase audios that are on sale through the $4.95 sales. My goal is to save my credits for 2013 releases of series I've already started.
- I will buy more used books to save money.
- RAK - I've joined Random Acts of Kindess again and I will allow 1 book a month purchase for the program.
- I will use my library's ebook and audiobooks through their Overdrive program in order to save as much money as I can throughout the year.
- I will take advantage of free ebooks through B&N (Nook) or other sites like All Romance eBooks that offer limited time free downloads.
- I will only request books from Netgalley/Edelweiss that I truly WANT to read in hopes that I don't have tons of expired galleys that I don't read because I ran out of time before I could read them. The same goes for paper ARCs that I request.
- I will continue to swap books with my friend Angela. We have saved each other tons of money by getting together monthly or every other monthly to swap books.
- I will trade in my paperbacks for "new" reads through my local used book stores.
- RAK - Will luck I will receive 1 free book through the program a month or every other month.
*I can use my Discover a New Love credit every month. Felicia has this one on her list and after researching the site I may join at a later time but right now I just signed up for their newsletter to keep tabs on what ebooks they offer at a low price.
I will keep track of total dollars spent on all book related activities: personal books, conventions, RAK, gifts, blog giveaways.
January 2013 Book Budget Totals
Book Purchased (2):
The Wolf Who Loved Me by Lydia Dare $0.99
Enraptured by Elisabeth Naughton $0.99
Chase Me by Tamara Hogan $0.99
King of Darkness by Elisabeth Staab $0.99
The Hunter by Theresa Meyer $5.09
Maggie and Trouble with Monkeys $0.99 (children's book)
Full Blooded by Amanda Carlson $1.99
Bitter Night by Diana Pharaoh Francis $1.99
Crimson Wind by Diana Pharaoh Francis $1.99
Shadow City by Diana Pharaoh Francis $1.99
God Save the Queen by Kate Locke $2.99
Cum for Bigfoot by by Virginia Wade $2.99 (WTF?! Yes I bought it for the title)
Children's Book from B&N
Scooby Doo $7.98
Weirdos From Another Planet $6.98
Something Under the Bed is Drooling $6.98
Peanuts Treasury $8.48
Bad Kitty Christmas $7.99
Gingerbread Pirates $8.49
Santa Trap $7.97
These were not figured into my $5 or less limit but they were are all on sale for at least 50%.
Books Gifted (3):
Full Blooded by Amanda Carlson $1.99 x3
Audiobook Credits (2) used: AudibleListener Gold Annual – 12 credits all at once:
Forever Buckhorn by Lori Foster
Tempest's Legacy by Nicole Peeler
Started with 10 credits
Ended with 8 credits
FREE Nook Books (3):
Exclusively Yours by Shannon Stacey
Red by Kate SeRine
Paradise Awakening by Jaci Burton
Books Won (0)
Books for Review (Physical, Edelweiss, NetGalley) (4):
One Night With a Cowboy by Cat Johnson (Netgalley)
Winterblaze by Kristen Callihan (Psychical)
House Rules by Chloe Neill (Physical)
Library Audios/eBooks (0)
GRAND TOTAL FOR JANUARY $90.79
February 2013 Book Budget Totals
Book Purchased (17):
When Shadows Call by Amanda Bonilla $2.99
Lost to the Gray by Amanda Bonilla $2.99
Not Planning on You $4.99
The Scent of Shadows by Vicki Pettersson $0.99
The Taste of Night by Vicki Pettersson $0.99
The Touch of Twilight by Vicki Pettersson $0.99
City of Souls by Vicki Pettersson $0.99
Cheat the Grave by Vicki Pettersson $0.99
The Neon Graveyard by Vicki Pettersson $0.99
Crystal Cove by Lisa Kleypas $1.99
Kiss of Surrender by Sandra Hill $0.99
Kiss of Pride by Sandra Hill $0.99
Paper Books (Used)
Naked in Death by J.D. Robb $3.75
Every Dead Thing by John Connolly $3.50
Ghouls, Ghouls, Ghouls by Victoria Lane $3.75
Secret of the Wolf by Cynthia Garner $3.75
Would-Be Witch by Kimberly Frost $4.00
Books Gifted (4):
*Venom 1 credit (RAK audio gift)
Unholy Ghosts $2.99 (Fools for Luv Guest Post Giveaway)
My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century $10.47 (Fools for Luv Blog Hop)
Audiobook Credits (3) used: AudibleListener Gold Annual – 12 credits all at once
Dark Desires After Dusk: Immortals After Dark
A Little Night Magic $4.95
Started with 8 credits
Ended month with 5 credits
Free Nook Books (1):
The Taken by Vicki Pettersson
Free Audio Books (1):
Undead Sublet: A Free Story from 'The Undead in My Bed' by Molly Harper
Books for Review (Physical, Edelweiss, NetGalley) (17):Twice Tempted by Jeaniene Frost (Physical)
Frost Burn by Patricia Briggs (Physical)
Wolf With Benefits by Shelly Laurenston (NG)
Heart of Iron by Bec McMaster (NG)
Highland Werewolf Wedding by Terry Spear (NG)
Flirting Under A Full Moon by Ashlyn Chase (NG)
Once Tempted by Laura Moore (NG)
Thrill Ride by Julie Ann Walker (NG)
Undone by Sara Humphreys (NG)
Strictly Business by Linda Cajio (NG)
Mac's Angel: Midnight Fantasy by Sandra Chastain (NG)
Summer He Came Home by Juliana Stone (NG)
Slow Burn by Anne Marsh (NG)
The Chosen by Theresa Meyer (NG)
Weird Detectives by mulit authors (NG)
Tempest by Kelly Meding (NG)
The Demon's Daughter by Paula Altenburg (NG)
Library Audios / eBooks (1)
Narravo's Promise by Lora Leigh
Books Won (1):
River Street by Suzanne Johnson
RAK Books (1):
Unbridled by Beth Williamson
GRAND TOTAL FOR FEBRUARY $44.58
My spending goal for March is $10
and that's my RAK allowance
Come back to see if I stuck to my goal.